Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The day I realized that I could have been an Australian...


No – I am not back at school in D.C. This is a third grade (Year 4) classroom in a junior school in Sydney – Redlands, which I visited this morning. I thought it looked reassuringly familiar!
Redlands is a beautiful school, with boys and girls from the age of 4 up to the age of 18 – split between two different sites. I was shown around by the Head of the junior school, Mr. Ari Guha. I saw a great deal of the junior school and was excited to see the equivalent of a third grade classroom.
They have up to 100 students in each grade, with a maximum of 25 students in a class. We will certainly be maintaining a connection with each other – and our Beauvoir third graders will have the chance to communicate with students at Redlands in 2010. I also met with the Head of the Prep school and saw their wonderful facilities and library, which often reminded me of Beauvoir. I felt that we had quite a lot in common with this school and I look forward to keeping in touch.
When I had finished my morning at Redlands, I walked the short distance down to Cremorne Point. This is an area of headland in North Sydney which is known for the most stunning views of the harbour. I was told that from here I would get my best view yet of the bridge and the Opera House. I was not disappointed. I took a tiny pathway, which wound its way around the coastline, overlooking rocks and the sea below. The view was all that I had hoped for.
Once again, I was spellbound by the image in front of me – I sat there and just, simply, enjoyed looking at it. There was also a small, outdoor public swimming pool, which obviously benefited from this extraordinary view. If I lived here, I’d be in that pool every morning. I saw boats coming and going and realized that a ferry service operated from the tiny Cremorne Point. How perfect!
I wound my way down to the jetty and then caught a ferry all the way across the harbour and back to Circular Quay. This was the way to travel. How wonderful it must be for those fortunate folks who live at Cremorne Point and work in Sydney – and have this as their morning commute. I had to call my wife right away to tell her that we had to move here at once!
Now that I was right beside the Opera House again, I decided that now was a good time to take one of their special guided tours, that takes you all around the building – inside and outside and behind the scenes of the opera theater and concert hall. It was an excellent experience – and I learned so much more about the building and its Danish architect, Jørn Utzon. The design was chosen from literally hundreds that were submitted as part of a world-wide competition. Utzon’s design was by far the most radical, risky and potentially impossible.
But, being Australia, they went for it – and succeeded. I think most other countries would have chosen an easier, safer and more traditional option – but that is not the Australian way, thank goodness – and just look at the outcome. It was completed and opened by the Queen in 1973. Utzon’s son is right now working on the redevelopment of interior of the opera theater – and was, apparently, in the building that very day. He must be a very proud son.

I had time for one more stop today – and it was a significant, but personal one. I knew (thanks to my sister’s extensive research of our family history and genealogy) that my great grandparents were actually married in Sydney – back in 1892. My great grandfather (this was my Dad’s grandfather), Earnest Hart, was in the navy at the time and married my great grandmother, Lillian Elizabeth Murphy, in St. Kieran’s Church, Golden Grove, Sydney on October 20th 1892. So – I set out for Golden Grove, determined to find St Kieran’s. A train took me just three stops from the waterfront to the area called Darlinghurst, where Golden Grove Street is. I walked the neighborhood for several minutes and then, with surprising ease, found the correct street.
It was quite a moment for me when I found the church itself. The original St. Kieran’s now lies behind a more modern church building re-named St. Michael’s. But the original nineteenth century building still stands and I felt a connection that I have never felt before with my great grandparents. What would Sydney have been like in 1892? It was certainly a rapidly growing city at that time, but nothing like it is today. Years of development, change and immigration still lay ahead. I wondered why they hadn’t stayed here much longer themselves? Perhaps my sister has the full story. It’s funny to think, though, that had they settled in Sydney, like so many others have, then I would have been an Australian. Maybe that explains my strong, positive feelings towards this country. I have loved Australia - and I adore Sydney. Well, Earnest and Lillian – here I am, 117 years later. I’m glad that I finally made it here too - this is a very special place.

No comments:

Post a Comment