Friday, July 10, 2009

The Glasshouse Mountains and the Big Pineapple


It was time to explore more of Queensland today – traveling north this time and up to the aptly named Sunshine Coast.
On the way up the coast I saw countryside that was a complete and utter surprise. The countryside was stunning – and incredibly green and lush, reminiscent of parts of western Ireland or the Malvern hills in Worcestershire – or even Shenandoah. I knew that parts of New Zealand were just like this – but I had no idea that there were hills and valleys like this in Australia. The views were incredible – and most striking were the Glasshouse Mountains – named by Captain Cook in 1770. When he saw this group of mountains form the ocean, he was reminded of the glass factories back home in Yorkshire, England and he gave them their name – which has lasted to this day.
Montville was the stop-off point for lunch. A perfect, alpine village - at the top of one the mountains, where, amongst other eclectic souvenir shops, was ‘The German Clock Centre’. I decided that I could wait until my next trip to Bavaria to make that kind of purchase.

The Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, is from this area. I saw his High School – Nambour State High School – where the Secretary of the Treasury also went; an impressive pair of alums for this small, local state school. On this very day, Mr. Rudd was meeting with President Obama in Rome during the G8 summit.

I also saw a pineapple plantation – another first for me. The one I visited was famous for the so-called ‘Big Pineapple’ – a 16 foot high fiberglass pineapple (that you can climb up inside) – located on the wonderfully-named Bruce Highway, in Woombye.
I learned that there are several other ‘Big’ things all over Australia – apparently the first was the ‘Big Banana’, in Coffs Harbour (see the Links section for more). They have become quite a cult phenomenon, for the kitsch-lover in all of us!
Then it was off to the seaside town of Maroochydore for the night – and another surprise. This time I felt transported to southern Spain. The town reminded me so much of Andalucía – and all those beautiful seaside towns surrounded by green mountains typical of that region. But here I am in Australia. I never knew there was so much variety in the landscape and so many hints of other parts of the world. Crowded House famously wrote the song ‘Four Seasons in One Day’ about the ever-changing weather in Melbourne. I almost feel that I have see four countries in one day during my travels today.
Tomorrow should be very interesting, as I plan a couple of iconic Australian trips – to Steve Irwin’s ‘Australia Zoo’ – and to an Aussie Rules football game at the ‘Gabba’ stadium in Brisbane.
I’m sure I will feel truly immersed in Australian culture after all of that.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your blog on the Sunshine Coast. I am lucky enough to live in this wonderful part of the world. My childhood was spent on a dairy farm in this area. 3am wake ups to milk cows, then off to school with the local milk truck, then back home to milk again before dinner and homework. Ahh, those were the days !

    ReplyDelete