Sunday, July 12, 2009

View from the hills


I always love looking at cities from above - or at least from somewhere very high up. So today I went to the top of Mount Coot'tha, where there is an 'overlook' from which you get the most stunning panoramic views of the whole city of Brisbane. I was not disappointed - and had picked the perfect day to come up here. The views were crystal clear, under a bright blue sky.
Once again, I thought to myself, I could get used to this winter weather! I was also struck by how beautiful this city is - with its curving river running through it, an attractive array of skyscrapers and green hills and valleys for miles around. It's funny to think that, historically, this spot was originally chosen to house the most hardened criminals - those that were deemed too rough and dangerous for Sydney. Basically, this was Australia's maximum security prison of the 1820s. The city got its name from the Governor of New South Wales at that time - Sir Thomas Brisbane.

I observed a Scottish 'invasion' taking place in Brisbane today - thousands of Scots (and ex-pat Scots, too) had descended on the city of Brisbane to watch their beloved Celtic - the famous soccer team from Glasgow, Scotland. They were playing a special pre-season game against the local soccer team, Brisbane Roar. It was strange to see so many soccer fans wandering around town all day in the distinctive green and white striped shirts of Celtic (for the record, Celtic won 3-0).

I spent the afternoon in a popular suburb of Brisbane called Paddington. There is also an area called Paddington in Sydney - and both are named after Paddington in London. Another example of the strong British influence on things - especially placenames. Paddington was full of antique shops and cafes - and beautiful houses high up on a hillside overlooking the city. I think that if I were to move to Brisbane, this would be where I'd like to live. I enjoyed another outstanding cup of coffee too!
Tomorrow I will really explore downtown Brisbane and discover what there is right in the thick of things, amongst all those skyscrapers. I'm really enjoying my time here - and I had no idea what to expect before I arrived. You hear so much about Sydney and Melbourne - but much less about Brisbane (which is Australia's third biggest city, by the way). Well, I highly recommend it to anyone visiting this great country. It has so much to offer, the weather is - seemingly - always good and the surrounding countryside is a fabulous mixture of perfect beaches and stunning countryside. Those early settlers - even the ones who hadn't necessarily chosen to move here - really found a new paradise. This is a truly wonderful part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment